DVD: Le Refuge (15)
Friday 05 November 2010
François Ozon's drama begins, ominously, with a beautiful couple injecting heroin in a Paris apartment. "Not another junkie film" is the immediate thought, but it's nothing of the sort. The man dies. The woman, Mousse (Isabelle Carré), survives, waking up after several weeks to discover that she is pregnant.
The dead man's icy mother wants to abort the baby. Mousse retreats to a remote house on the coast, to grieve and ruminate. The dead man's gay brother (Louis-Ronan Choisy) comes too, uninvited, and before long she has taken a fancy to this piano-playing, sensitive soul. Not much happens, but Carré (who was actually pregnant during filming) is compelling.
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
Oscars 2015 Bringing you all the news from the 87th Academy Awards
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Film Hollywood's new leading lady talks about her Ramsay Street days
Oscar voter speaks outfilm
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'