DVD: Lie To Me (15)
Friday 11 September 2009
Following Hugh Laurie's transatlantic success in House, British actors are enjoying a departure from their traditional role as sneering malcontent or hapless sidekick.
In this case with good reason as Tim Roth is by far the best thing in this otherwise generic crime thriller.
Roth plays Cal Lightman, he and his team are experts in visual lie detection which not only helps them solve crime but makes them irksome smart-arses in any social situation.
Episodes typically throw them into jaunts that prove how much more awesome they are than established law enforcement agencies. Roth is as watchable as ever. It's enjoyable hokum but if I were to say it had any depth you wouldn't need Lightman et al to tell I was lying.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
Church of Scientology allegedly sent threatening letters to film distributors and festivals showing damning documentary
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl performs with broken leg seated on massive throne made of guitars
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture