DVD: Megamind (PG)
Friday 08 April 2011
Voiceovers might be creepy-looking funnyman Will Ferrell's forte. He's excellent on Dreamworks' hugely enjoyable "superhero" animation, which just pips Despicable Me for laughs.
Ferrell's blue-headed super-villain finally destroys his preening nemesis, Metro Man (Brad Pitt), but the victory leaves him bored and despondent. So he sets about creating a new nemesis, turning nerdy cameraman (Jonah Hill) into the mighty Titan. Only this new superhero has no interest in being good. Decent visual gags, witty dialogue ("I'm so tired of running rampant in the streets"), a droll Marlon Brando impersonation and at no point does this jolly tale flag.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
What if Nicolas Cage played every character in Game of Thrones?
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture