DVD: Mr Popper's Penguins (PG)
Friday 09 December 2011
Back in the mid noughties, you couldn't move for marching and dancing penguins, so there's something vaguely out-of-date about this Jim Carrey kids book adaptation.
But if flightless birds still tug at your heartstrings, you could do worse than this innocuous, cosy family flick. There's a moral, there's a clever blend of real and CGI birds and there's a muted (ie less annoying than normal) Carrey. The penguins are a touchy-feely metaphor for family, educating the rubber-faced comic's "emotionally unavailable" Manhattan real-estate schmuck in the ways of fatherhood. On second thoughts, only see this if you really do love penguins.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia