DVD: Nostalgia For The Light (12)
Saturday 22 September 2012
An intensely moving documentary, set in the extraordinary lunar terrain of Chile's Atacama Desert, where the "translucency of the sky" was ideal for the country's impressive, 1970s astronomy programme.
However, this scorched landscape also bore witness to the deaths of Pinochet's political opponents in the Chacabuco Mines. A poetic, humane, and deeply scientific film.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arts & Ents blogs
YouTube star Rebecca Black is back with Saturday (it's a sequel to Friday, see?)
Norman Rockwell’s 'Saying Grace' tops record week of art auction sales in US
Metallica play Antarctica: What other bizarre gigs have musicians played?
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >