DVD: Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief (PG)
Friday 02 July 2010
"My father's Poseidon? Why didn't anyone tell me?" Yep, hokum. And Chris Columbus-directed hokum to boot.
Percy is a 12-year-old New Yorker with dyslexia and ADHD, who loathes his mom's brutish boyfriend ("He smells like a sewer") and struggles at school ("It's like high school without the musical"). But, it turns out, the boy's a demigod. Before you can say "Harry Potter rip-off" Percy is whizzed off to a demigod boot camp, where Pierce Brosnan's centaur tells him to "be prepared", before launching on a perilous quest – to save his mom (Catherine Keener) – with his protector (Brandon T Jackson) and the comely Alexandra Daddario in tow. Steve Coogan and Sean Bean embarrass themselves here. Rot.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 German man found living with 300 rats in tiny apartment
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture