DVD: Rango, Paramount (For rental & retail)
Sunday 24 July 2011
Rango may be a cartoon about a pet chameleon (voiced by Johnny Depp) who gets lost in the desert and becomes a Wild West sheriff, but adults can expect to enjoy it more than their offspring.
There are grotesque, Gilliamesque characters and designs, sly jokes about Hunter S Thompson, deaths and verbal flourishes straight out of True Grit, and a storyline that recalls Chinatown and There Will Be Blood.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Paul Walker: Fast and Furious cast release video tribute to late star
David Bowie premieres politically-charged music video for ‘I’d Rather Be High’
Nymphomaniac trailer shown to children at screening of Disney film Frozen
The top gay icons (straight up!)
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Nelson Mandela life story: An unconquerable spirit
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 Video: Students 'punched and dragged to the ground by their hair' as police break up demonstration