DVD: Rio (U)
Friday 21 October 2011
"I can't fly, I pick my beak, and once in a while I pee in the birdbath!" confesses Blu, a neurotic blue macaw, to Jewel, a rather more feisty one, in this sweet-natured, occasionally droll animation.
Jesse Eisenberg and Anne Hathaway are charming as the lovebirds who are hounded by scoundrels (including Jemaine Clement's deliciously rotten cockatoo, Nigel) in Rio de Janeiro. The domesticated Blu has been living a sheltered existence in a bookshop in small-town Minne-sota, before his nervous owner (Leslie Mann) agrees to take her precious bird to Brazil for breeding. Jewel, the last remaining female macaw, has been living a rougher captive life in the City of God. Not as inventive as the recent Rango, but still quite a lot of fun.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women