DVD: Rolling Thunder (18)
Friday 24 February 2012
This brutal 1977 revenge drama was one of the first films to examine the after effects of serving in Vietnam.
William Devane's Major Charles Rane, a PoW who was tortured by the Vietcong, returns to a hero's welcome in San Antonio, before going home to discover his wife has shacked up with another man. His problems escalate when a group of roughnecks enter his house, amputate his hand and murder his family. Rane tracks down the murderers down to Mexico, accompanied by Linda (Linda Haynes) who's taken a shine to this killing machine. This is also notable for Tommy Lee Jones's performance as Rane's war buddy.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >