DVD: Shelter (15)
Friday 06 August 2010
Half mad and quite bad, this is a film that doesn't know what it wants to be. It starts off as a fairly decent psychological thriller centred on a lunatic (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) with several personalities; then, suddenly, it shifts to a backwood full of old crones and other hackneyed horror tropes.
Julianne Moore puts in a decent turn as a god-fearing psychiatrist whose professional life has been devoted to discountenancing split-personality syndrome. She finds herself on the trail of Meyers's character, whose ability to flip between personalities tests her convictions.
Structurally ungainly and packed with crashingly bad dialogue, this is one to leave on the shelf.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
lifeIt takes year-long dedication to get Selfridges ready for 25 December. And they're already working on plans for 2015...
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Arts & Ents blogs
Exclusive: Young people ‘want UK to stay in Europe’: Four in 10 adults aged 18 to 24 are ‘firmly in favour’ of membership, poll shows
You can STILL be jailed for being a republican, government confirms, and it remains illegal to even 'imagine' overthrowing the Queen
Kiss and yell: Italian protester charged with sexual assault after kissing riot police officer
Fighting back: the woman giving a voice (and 49,999 others) to the victims of sexism - by giving an airing to their horror stories
PM denies two child limit for benefits is part of Tory welfare policy
Ethan Couch: Texas quadruple murderer – or a victim of ‘affluenza’?
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences, as judge labels him a 'dangerous sexual predator'
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber announces he's 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >