DVD: Sherlock Holmes (12)
Friday 14 May 2010
Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law make an unlikely pairing in the latest incarnation of the detective and his sidekick, Dr Watson, but by gum it works. The sleuth investigates murders that seem to have been carried out by Lord Blackwood, a worshipper of the dark arts. The only problem being, the peer had been executed before the spree. The tale may not be from the pen of Arthur Conan Doyle, but is an enjoyable romp, rattling along at a cracking pace, and the look of Victorian London is sumptuous. Fans of the source material might cry foul, but this is a welcome – if slightly leftfield – addition to the Holmes canon, and, after a fallow decade, a return to form for Guy Ritchie.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up as Iain goes into meltdown
Doctor Who kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- < Previous
- Next >