DVD: St Trinian's 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold (12)
Friday 28 May 2010
Oliver Parker's dismal public-school caper doesn't even have the decency to be camp. Rupert Everett donning a Margaret Thatcher-style wig simply doesn't cut it.
In fact, Colin Firth, David Tennant and Gemma Arterton hang your heads in collective shame for contributing to this rot. The plot? The schoolgirls – who all appear to be in their late twenties – are on the hunt for buried treasure after they discover that their Headmistress, Miss Fritton (Everett), is the descendant of a pirate. The original St Trinian's escapades were blessed with an anarchic spirit and deft, inimitable comic actors such as Alastair Sim and Joyce Grenfell. This sequel has nothing to recommend it.
Review: Of Mice and Men
By opportunistic local hoping to exhibit the work
Fans will be hoping the role finally wins him an Oscar
What do gigantic horse heads tell us about Falkirk?
Finnish Postal Service praises the 'self irony and humour' of the drawings
The actor has confessed to his own insecurities
Allotments are the focus of a new reality show
Arts & Ents blogs
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
An open letter to Nigel Farage: you may smile, but I am not seduced
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Abdullah Deghayes: My son was the martyr of a just cause, says father of British teenager killed in Syria conflict
- 1 ‘Leeds is on fire’: Huge chemical-fuelled blaze on Armley industrial estate leads to hazardous smoke warning for city
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers