DVD: The Big Lebowski (18)
Friday 26 August 2011
"That rug really tied the room together," the Dude, justifiably, laments after two thugs pee on his carpet.
The Coen brothers' most quotable, re-watchable and funniest film comes to Blu-ray. Jeff Bridges is Jeff "The Dude" Lebowski, a lazy ("quite possibly the laziest in Los Angeles County") slacker whose life (which involves weed, White Russians and bowling) is disrupted by two dim gangsters who believe he's the LA millionaire Jeffrey Lebowski. They wreck his rug and dunk his head in the toilet bowl. The Dude is appalled, so goes to visit the real Lebowski, thus starting an unhinged journey that involves lost toes, German nihilists and lots of profanity. Bridges is excellent, but his deranged bowling pal, Walter (John Goodman), provides the biggest laughs.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >