DVD: The Lion King 3D (U)
Friday 04 November 2011
Disney are masters of mobilising parent-pestered purchasing power with anniversary re-releases and new-format flourishes.
Thus, here's their biggest cash cow of the modern era, and its feline Hamlet tale of lines of Serengeti succession is a triumph of brand synergy. The restored image is vivid on Blu-ray, with 3D adding colourful 21st-century punch to the sweeping African vistas; and Elton John and Tim Rice's songs still spring to the lips 17 years after the original release. So, ignoring ancillary merchandise, gimmicky technology and blatant profiteering, The Lion King remains one of the best animated films ever made. Hakuna Matata indeed.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Students heading off to 'charity challenge' grounded at Gatwick after travel firm goes bust
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Like Jennifer Aniston, I am no less of a woman because I am childless
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Burning Man Festival 2014: Thousands gather in Nevada's Black Rock Desert a day late after rain postponed official start
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >