DVD: The Social Network (12)
Friday 11 February 2011
"You're not an asshole, Mark, you're just trying really hard to be one." Aaron Sorkin's whip-sharp dialogue pings like a Rafael Nadal forehand in David Fincher's compelling and droll look at the rise of Facebook and the demise of the founders' friendships.
It opens with Jesse Eisenberg's socially inept Mark Zuckerberg, a 19-year-old Harvard student, being – quite reasonably – dumped by his exasperated girlfriend, Erica ("dating you is like dating a Stairmaster"). In "retaliation" a sozzled Mark writes a mean blog about her and the other women on campus – creating, in the process, a website that allows students to rate females by their "hotness". It's a big hit and Zuckerberg quickly twigs that social-networking sites are the way forward. He enlists his (only) friend Eduardo Saverin (Andrew Garfield) to supply the finance. Meanwhile, he has been working on the Harvard Connection website of two members of the rowing team, the wealthy Winklevoss twins (both ably played by Armie Hammer). They're reluctant to sue, reasoning that they are "gentlemen of Harvard". But when the website morphs into Facebook and becomes deliriously successful, then the lawsuits begin. Eisenberg is note perfect as the driven, seditious Zuckerberg but it's Garfield, as the "betrayed" best friend, who gives Fincher's hugely enjoyable film heart.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >