DVD: The Thing (15)
Friday 30 March 2012
John Carpenter's horror didn't need remaking – it was just about perfect – so instead Matthijs van Heijningen Jr has plumped for making a prequel to the 1982 gem, with middling results.
Mary Elizabeth Winstead's palaeontologist is asked to join a Norwegian scientific team in Antarctica that's unearthed an alien ship buried in the ice. Naturally, there's a shape-shifting beastie lurking inside just gagging to kill everyone in sight. This gory chiller doesn't have the humour or indeed anyone in it to match the nonpareil action man Kurt Russell, but it provides efficient genre thrills and has two intense leads in Winstead and Joel Edgerton's pilot.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Doctor Who lesbian kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo, review: The long wait felt worth it
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- < Previous
- Next >