DVD: The vampire diaries: Season one, Various directors (15)
Friday 20 August 2010
Does anyone else find Kevin Williamson's never-ending obsession with high school a little bit, well, disturbing? Having been responsible for some of your favourite teen-angst moments, including Dawson's Creek, Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, he's still obsessing over those formative years. Someone has some issues.
His most recent project has been developing the television adaptation of the series of bestselling books by L J Smith, The Vampire Diaries. Set in a small American town (of course), the plot revolves around high-school student Elena (Nina Dobrev) who falls in love with vampire Stefan (Paul Wesley). Wait just a minute...
Yes, Twilight comparisons are inevitable but, in reality, this series evokes a bit of Twilight's tween romance along with True Blood's gory action, and it has a "15" certificate, so it's allowed to get at least a little bit racy. Most of the juicy action begins with the arrival of Stefan's evil vampire brother Damon (Ian Somerhalder) who also takes a shine to Elena.
It's hardly groundbreaking stuff but it's good fun. However, if you have any doubt who the show is aimed at, you should know that The Vampire Diaries recently picked up seven gongs at the Teen Choice Awards. You have been warned.R
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'