DVD: The Way Back (12)
Friday 06 May 2011
"Nature is your jailer and she has no mercy," says a guard at the gulag in which Polish prisoner Janusz (Jim Sturgess) has been imprisoned.
This prefaces the escape of six inmates in 1941, including US engineer Smith (Ed Harris) and Russian gangster Valka (a decent Colin Farrell), as they head for waters less Communist. It's a brutal journey: they head for India, survive Siberia then hit the Gobi desert and the Himalayas. Based on Slavomir Rawicz's disputed memoir, it's an at-times captivating tale – you can almost feel your mouth dry up as they battle dehydration in the Gobi – but it lacks emotional sweep, especially the damp squib of an ending.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Reyhaneh Jabbari: Iran due to execute woman for murder of her alleged attempted rapist
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- 5 British man raped while urinating in bushes at Oktoberfest beer festival in Germany
The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
Cilla, episode 3, ITV - review: Ed Stoppard steals the limelight as Beatles manager Brian Epstein
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2: The Green Legend will be Netflix's first original movie
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Jungle Book: A tale as old as time
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
'Women, walk wherever you want' posters taken down in Stamford Hill following 'unacceptable' signs separating men and women
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
- < Previous
- Next >