DVD: Whisky Galore! (PG)
Friday 05 August 2011
In a wretched week for DVD releases, raise a glass to this delightful Ealing comedy from 1949.
It's not quite as deliciously subversive as Ealing's The Ladykillers or Kind Hearts and Coronets, but this whimsical, slightly naughty tale is still hugely evocative and droll. A ship full of whisky has gone down off the fictional island of Todday and the islanders are keen to pilfer some of the scotch for themselves. However, spoil sport Captain Waggett (Basil Radford) sees it as his duty to prevent the robbing of this booze booty. The lovely Joan Greenwood and James Robertson Justice excel in this joyous paean to drinking.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- 5 Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’
Best TV shows on Netflix: 26 series to binge on
'Phallic symbols' found hidden in famous Pre-Raphaelite painting 'Isabella' by John Everett Millais
Top Gear Burma episode breached Ofcom rules over Jeremy Clarkson's racial slur
Game of Thrones season 4 blooper reel unveiled at Comic-Con 2014
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling