DVD/Blu-ray: Children's Film Foundation Collection: Volume 1 – London Tales (U)
"It's a rotten idea, washing dogs," moans one of the four plucky London urchins desperate for cash in John Krish's The Salvage Gang, one of the three thoroughly charming short features in this delightful collection of Children's Film Foundation pictures, made between 1958 and 1976.
The other two films, Operation Third Form, about teenage detectives, and Night Ferry (starring Bernard Cribbins), are equally spirited, droll and unpatronising tales of childhood adventure.
Arts & Ents blogs
Thirteen-year-old Conor awakes in bed one night to discover that the yew tree outside his house has ...
It’s hard not to feel sorry for doe-eyed Andy. He spends months pining after Louise, has huge nostr...
Fragility of life looms large over an episode that closes with the scarring on Julie's stomach. Whil...
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t