DVD/Blu-ray: King of New York (18)
Saturday 14 July 2012
"You're like a machine, Mia," explains Peter Wight's podgy handler to his best assassin, a pre-op transsexual gamely played by Chloë Sevigny, patchy Irish accent and all.
Christopher Walken stars as the deranged criminal kingpin Frank White in Abel Ferrara's wildly over-the-top and bullet-drenched gangster yarn. Frank is released from the joint (watch out for Walken's wonderful fresh-out-of-jail dance) and he's grimly determined to gobble up New York's drugs trade, aided by his bloodthirsty pal, Jimmy Jump (Laurence Fishburne, gamey). This graphic thriller is saved by a giddy turn from Walken, who makes Jimmy Cagney's Cody Jarrett look like a cuddly gerbil.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 What supermodels really think about posing in the nude
- 3 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 4 Black teen in critical condition after store employee 'shoots him for stealing 79-cent pack of cookies'
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Amy Winehouse film director: 'I wanted to show the fun, bright-eyed girl we didn't know'
James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
Contemporary art is a fraud, says top dealer
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture