DVD/Blu-ray: The Descendants (15)
Saturday 19 May 2012
“I'm the back-up parent, the understudy,” explains George Clooney's complacent family man and workaholic Hawaiian lawyer.
His wife is in a coma after a jet-ski accident, and he is charged with caring for his two wayward daughters (played by Shailene Woodley, below right with Clooney, and Amara Miller), whom he has always neglected. The Descendants is a gentler film for Alexander Payne, absent from directing for eight years, than his excellent Sideways and Election, and, apart from Clooney's nuanced turn, it's a bit flimsy. It lacks Payne's customary wit and piquancy.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >