DVD/Blu-ray: Yellow Submarine (U)
Saturday 02 June 2012
The animation is crude and lacks the delicious spite of Terry Gilliam's cartoons and the story is lame, but the songs – "Lucy in the Sky of Diamonds", "All You Need Is Love", "Eleanor Rigby" – are sensational.
George Dunning's 1968 psychedelic oddity has the Fab Four battling (in a sardonic and spaced-out like fashion) against the deranged Blue Meanies and their Hand Glove, which is hellbent on obliterating the unearthly paradise Pepperland. A far-out historical document with a couple of droll puns.
TVJamie's Sugar Rush reveal's campaigning chef's new foe
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees