Ecoute Le Temps (12A)
Friday 17 August 2007
This French murder-mystery takes off from an intriguing premise. A young sound engineer (Emilie Dequenne) learns that her estranged mother – a local clairvoyant – has been killed, and returns to the house in the village where she lived and died. She decides to record the creaks and groans of the dilapidated farmhouse, but then, picking up the sounds of voices from her mother's past, begins piecing together the events leading up to her murder. We are seemingly drawn into a French take on Coppola's The Conversation as writer-director Alanté Kavaïté plays spooky games with sound and perception, but having set up its line of murder suspects the film sheers off into supernatural hokum and never really recovers. A shame, because it promised more.
Review: A panoramic account of the hacking scandalbooks
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sabina Altynbekova, the girl branded 'too good looking' for volleyball, says social media obsession with her is a 'bit much'
- 2 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 3 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 4 Zayn Malik on Israel-Gaza: One Direction singer bombarded with Twitter death threats after posting #FreePalestine
- 5 'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'
New Netflix releases: Films and TV shows coming August 2014
Samuel Beckett's biographer reveals secrets of the writer's time as a French Resistance spy
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Star Wars Episode 7: Simon Pegg hints at role
Guardians of the Galaxy - review: A superficial and half-hearted Marvel film
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
- < Previous
- Next >