Ecoute Le Temps (12A)
Friday 17 August 2007
This French murder-mystery takes off from an intriguing premise. A young sound engineer (Emilie Dequenne) learns that her estranged mother – a local clairvoyant – has been killed, and returns to the house in the village where she lived and died. She decides to record the creaks and groans of the dilapidated farmhouse, but then, picking up the sounds of voices from her mother's past, begins piecing together the events leading up to her murder. We are seemingly drawn into a French take on Coppola's The Conversation as writer-director Alanté Kavaïté plays spooky games with sound and perception, but having set up its line of murder suspects the film sheers off into supernatural hokum and never really recovers. A shame, because it promised more.
Watch the new House of Cards series three trailerTV
Oscars 2015It was the first time Barney has compered the Academy Awards
Oscars 2015 From Meryl Streep whooping Patricia Arquette's equality speech to Chris Pine in tears
Oscars 2015 Mexican filmmaker uses speech to urge 'respect' for immigrants
TV ReviewThe intrigue deepens as we delve further but don't expect any answers just yet
Razzies 2015 Golden Raspberry Awards 'honours' Cameron Diaz and Kirk Cameron
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'