Elite Squad (18)
Friday 08 August 2008
A glimpse of hell. José Padilha's drama recreates a police operation in 1997 to clean up one of Rio's most violent favelas in time for a visit from the Pope.
Captain Nascimento (Wagner Moura) wants out of the city's elite BOPE squad – his wife's having their first child – but first he must groom his replacement. As he trains up two young candidates, the full horror of law- enforcement in the slums is made apparent: the methods adopted by BOPE prove to be as brutal as the gangsterism they're intended to fight.
Padilha gets as close to the daily violence as City of God, though this feels more like a documentary than an epic. It's also profoundly depressing in its presentation of a war with no end in view, and of men whose pursuit of justice almost invariably comes from the point of a gun.
Watch the Elite Squad trailer
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Heavy metal producer's corpse to be mutilated by models as per his dying wish
Game of Thrones season 5: Grey Worm actor Jacob Anderson is all for more male nudity – as long as it’s not him
The Jump 2015 line-up: Joey Essex, Phil Tufnell, Heather Mills and co take to the slopes
New Ghostbusters movie lands all-female cast with Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones
Grumpy Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes