Elite Squad (18)
Friday 08 August 2008
A glimpse of hell. José Padilha's drama recreates a police operation in 1997 to clean up one of Rio's most violent favelas in time for a visit from the Pope.
Captain Nascimento (Wagner Moura) wants out of the city's elite BOPE squad – his wife's having their first child – but first he must groom his replacement. As he trains up two young candidates, the full horror of law- enforcement in the slums is made apparent: the methods adopted by BOPE prove to be as brutal as the gangsterism they're intended to fight.
Padilha gets as close to the daily violence as City of God, though this feels more like a documentary than an epic. It's also profoundly depressing in its presentation of a war with no end in view, and of men whose pursuit of justice almost invariably comes from the point of a gun.
Watch the Elite Squad trailer
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
Great British Bake Off, episode 4, review: Heat gets turned up as Iain goes into meltdown
Doctor Who kiss sparks Ofcom complaints over 'weird lesbian-lizard perv trip'
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Emmys 2014: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Steven Moffat win big awards for Sherlock
Homer Simpson takes the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he does
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- < Previous
- Next >