Encounters at the End of the World (U)
Friday 24 April 2009
Or: "Werner Herzog Goes to Antarctica".
This time the peerless German oddball sets out to examine nature at its most extreme and enigmatic, interviewing an assortment of boffins at the continent's National Science Foundation in McMurdo and making discoveries that even he hasn't prepared for.
It lacks the focus that made his Grizzly Man so compelling. All the same, you don't want to miss the weird scenes beneath the ice shelf or inside the active volcano, or the incredibly poignant shot of a "deranged" penguin waddling furiously away from the pack towards a distant mountain range – and certain death. This is Herzog in awe at life, the universe, eternity itself.
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 I was a Woman Against Feminism too
- 2 Fifty Shades of Grey movie trailer released: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 The Tory donor whose firm is one of Britain’s biggest tax avoiders - with HMRC's blessing
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia