Film review: Cleopatra (PG)
Joseph L Mankiewicz's 1963 folie de grandeur was a legend even before its own lifetime. No movie in history had been heralded with such pre-release clamour – and no movie could survive it.
This digitally remastered version lends a handsome burnish and blaze to the colour, but that's on the level of refurbishing Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Why enhance a fake?
The movie is not about the tragic romance of Antony and Cleopatra; it's about the prizefight-cum-love match between Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, standing ego to ego in their absurd finery.
Forget Actium; this is Hollywood's battle royal. And, like certain terrible movies down the ages, it's impossible to tear your eyes away.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts