Film review: Gimme the Loot (15)
A freewheeling energy carries this slender, ragtag indie just over the 80-minute line. A pair of teenage hustlers-cum-graffiti-taggers from the Bronx – smart, tough Sophia (Tashiana Washington) and sweet, goofy Malcolm (Ty Hickson) – plot to leave their stamp on an iconic landmark in the New York Mets' stadium.
They need $500 to pull it off, and over the course of a hot-as-hell weekend we watch them trying to raise it, a tricky business in an environment where you scam or get scammed.
The best scene involves Malcolm selling dope to a rich white girl (Zoë Lescaze) and staying to smooch in her bedroom.
The writer-director Adam Leon adopts a meandering, episodic structure that intrigues rather than compels, though the performances of the two young leads and the sense of a city on the make lend it a lo-fi charm.
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
food + drinkHow one grocery e-tailer is gearing up for the Yuletide rush
food + drink
Arts & Ents blogs
The 50 Best Christmas songs: Bells continue to ring for the Pogues' 'Fairytale of New York'
Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
Back in Black (Sabbath): On the comeback trail with Ozzy Osbourne and crew
The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
Back from the dead? Family Guy's Brian Griffin 'to make a comeback' after fan petition
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >