Film review: Hummingbird (15)
Showcased as a change of tack in Jason Statham's rise, this finds Hollywood's favourite hardman playing Soho down-and-out "crazy Joey", a fugitive soldier haunted by a season in Helmand.
Breaking into a loft apartment – conveniently kitted out with clothes that fit him – Joey goes in search of the sadist banker who killed his homeless friend.
Meanwhile he bankrolls a saintly nun (Agata Buzek) and her soup-kitchen mission in nearby Covent Garden.
The presence of Steven Knight (Dirty Pretty Things) as screenwriter promises something in the way of outcast London, but he can't shape this melodrama into anything plausible.
Once Joey throws in his lot with Chinese gangsters, Statham reverts to type.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >