Film review: Parker (15)
Jason Statham has enjoyed remarkable success in Hollywood for an actor who can't do American accents. He shows that he can't, too, when in this violent crime thriller he briefly masquerades as a Texas oil baron. Oof.
Based on a novel by Donald E Westlake (d.2008) it has Statham as the eponymous Parker, a hardnut and bank robber who turns vengeful after his crew double-cross him. He's not entirely beyond the pale – when he shoots a security guard in the leg, he promises to call an ambulance for him on the road. What a gent!
The action winds up among the super-rich of Palm Beach, where our hero happens upon an ally in Jennifer Lopez's needy estate agent. Taylor Hackford handles the bloody mayhem with journeyman efficiency.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Great British Bake Off 2014: Ofcom receives 13 complaints about Baked Alaska episode
Nicki Minaj suffers wardrobe malfunction during MTV VMAs performance with Ariana Grande and Jessie J
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >