Film review: Play (15)
The Swedish film-maker Ruben Ostlund is making an art form out of the cringeworthy. This truth-based drama builds on the vignettes of embarrassment and manipulation he explored in Involuntary.
In a Gothenburg shopping mall, five black teenagers work a scam to rob three middle-class boys of their mobile phones; their method is based on an elaborate strategy of intimidation mixed with reasonableness, a sort of perverted good cop/bad cop routine.
Ostlund's camera maintains a curious, unnerving stare as the scam proceeds, almost in real time, and your toes begin to curl at the excruciating collusion between victim and bully.
Ostlund overplays it in the last third by shifting the perspective from teenage bullying to the adult kind, thereby diluting the drama's implicit issues of race and class. But he knows how to build tension from extremes of banality.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 2 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 3 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 4 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 100,000 back our campaign
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up