Film review: Safe Haven (12A)
Another week, another Nicholas Sparks romance to swell the morass of tranquillising mush (Message in a Bottle, The Notebook, The Lucky One) he turns out by the yard.
This one stars Julianne Hough as a young woman fleeing a crime scene and catching a bus out of town, with a police detective (David Lyons) in obsessive pursuit. She fetches up in an idyllic backwater on the North Carolina coast, where she rents a picture-book cabin in the woods and attracts the interest of a hunky widower (Josh Duhamel). Can she bond with his two young kids and help him find love again?
Director Lasse Hallström favours dappled light and bucolic loveliness better suited to a tampon commercial than a plausible drama, and he smothers everything in emollient country tunes that declare "everything will be OK", even when peril is heading towards the heroine in the shape of a furious alcoholic ex-husband. This one even throws a bit of supernatural twaddle into the mix, as if it needed anything else to undermine its credibility.
Art Piece taken off website amid 'severe security alert'
Maisie Williams single-handedly rises to the challengeTV
Academy criticised after no non-white actors nominated
tvAn expose of hooliganism masquerading as an ideological battle
artLee Hadwin can't draw when he's awake, but by night he's an artist
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
30,000 reasons why the rhetoric on immigrants claiming benefits can stop now