Film review: Sunshine on Leith (PG)
Dexter Fletcher, 100mins. Starring: George MacKay, Peter Mullan
Dexter Fletcher's rousing, low-budget musical Sunshine on Leith is so likable that you hardly notice that the singing and choreography aren't all that slick or clever.
Nor does it seem a problem that the lyrics of the Proclaimers songs dotted through the movie have only a tenuous connection to the story the film-makers are actually trying to tell.
Davy (George MacKay) and Ally (Kevin Guthrie) play young soldiers back home in Edinburgh after a tour of duty in Afghanistan. Peter Mullan is Davy's gruff but big-hearted dad, Jane Horrocks his long-suffering mum.
There are singalongs in pubs, brawls, romantic misunderstandings, digs at the English and, inevitably, reconciliation with a show-stopping dance sequence in Princes Street Gardens. It is the sheerest, tartan-tinged schmaltz but still utterly captivating if you're ready to go along with its excesses.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming street artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars memorabilia called a 'bit of plastic' on Antiques Roadshow by Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
Fury, film review: Brad Pitt is intriguing as unsympathetic war hero
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage