Film review: The Frozen Ground (15)
Based on real events, this Alaska-set thriller traces the investigation that led to the unmasking of a serial killer.
Nicolas Cage plays State Trooper Jack Holcombe, who spots a link between young women disappearing on the mean streets of Anchorage and corpses found in a distant wilderness. It seems the killer liked to hunt his prey before dispatching them.
Vanessa Hudgens plays the streetwalker who alone has escaped the sadistic attentions of Robert Hansen (John Cusack), a family man with minor convictions dating back to the 1970s. But can a case be assembled against him? The film operates without fear of the commonplace: the script is by-the-numbers, too.
Radha Mitchell as Cage's wife gets only a couple of lines, both of them howling cliches; and you can almost spot the scenes where fiction has remodelled the facts into a cinematic shape. The photographs of the murdered women, sequenced over the closing credits, make a grisly and necessary corrective.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Green village to be bulldozed and mined for lignite in Germany's quest for non-nuclear fuel
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month