Film review: Turbo 3D (U)
David Soren, 96mins. Voices: Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti
As far as films about motor-racing snails go, this DreamWorks 3D animated feature is surely one of the better ones. Its premise is preposterous – a little orange snail (Ryan Reynolds) ends up competing in the Indy 500.
The eye-popping visuals, vivid characterisation and strong voice work, especially by Paul Giamatti as Turbo's whining brother, just about make up for the absurdity of the idea.
Some of the dialogue here seems to have been borrowed from Ron Howard's Rush, which was likewise about "a bunch of cars driving around in circles for hours on end", but just didn't feature any molluscs.
Game of Thrones
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up