Film review: Upstream Colour (12A)
The film that messes with your head isn't necessarily an unpleasant experience – for sure, much of Shane Carruth's second feature, following his enigmatic debut Primer (2004), is actually quite beautiful, and with some concentration you may even make a little sense of it.
A young woman named Kris (Amy Seimetz) is targeted by a conman (Thiago Martins) who implants her with a grub that deprives her of willpower and memory; he extorts all of her money, then skedaddles. Later, Kris meets a disgraced broker (Carruth) who may have been a victim of the same scam.
The narrative proceeds by glancing indirection, offering visual rhymes and echoes whose meaning flits in and out of focus. What is the significance of the pig farmer who seems to have twigged the secret of the grub? Why is Thoreau's book Walden a recurring motif?
Carruth, who produces, writes, directs, edits, photographs and composes the score, is not a film-maker prepared to make things easy for an audience, or for himself. His elusive, elliptical style makes someone like Terrence Malick look quite straightforward – and yet just allowing yourself to go with it yields a kind of pleasure. There really isn't anything else like this, anywhere.
Listen to his collaboration with Naughty Boymusic
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers