Film review: V/H/S , a 'found footage' horror
The "found footage" horror movie is living on borrowed time, though V/H/S is refusing to let it die. A portmanteau of six short films by different directors, its linking story concerns a bunch of petty thieves who break into a derelict house to retrieve a videotape for a client.
What they find isn't edifying: the house's owner dead in a chair surrounded by TV screens and a cache of old cassettes. One of the house-breakers plays the tapes and, well, there's the movie.
David Bruckner's story of an amateur porn film gone horribly wrong has some bite, possibly helped by its placing high up the order.
Ti West offers a sinister squib of a couple on a road trip and the evergreen creepiness of motel rooms. But being strung together only highlights the sameyness of the material, the shakycam, the heavy breathing, the sudden flurries of terror.
There's nothing here you haven't seen done better in Vacancy, Paranormal Activity or even Sinister.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Great British Bake Off 2014: Diana Beard quits after falling ill
Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
Strictly Come Dancing v X Factor: Simon Cowell blasts BBC over scheduling war
Doctor Who series 8: Ofcom will not investigate lesbian kiss
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- < Previous
- Next >