Film review: V/H/S , a 'found footage' horror
The "found footage" horror movie is living on borrowed time, though V/H/S is refusing to let it die. A portmanteau of six short films by different directors, its linking story concerns a bunch of petty thieves who break into a derelict house to retrieve a videotape for a client.
What they find isn't edifying: the house's owner dead in a chair surrounded by TV screens and a cache of old cassettes. One of the house-breakers plays the tapes and, well, there's the movie.
David Bruckner's story of an amateur porn film gone horribly wrong has some bite, possibly helped by its placing high up the order.
Ti West offers a sinister squib of a couple on a road trip and the evergreen creepiness of motel rooms. But being strung together only highlights the sameyness of the material, the shakycam, the heavy breathing, the sudden flurries of terror.
There's nothing here you haven't seen done better in Vacancy, Paranormal Activity or even Sinister.
filmIn Black Seahe is as audiences have never seen him before
MusicThe band accidentally called Londoners the C-word
Film 'I've never been comfortable on-screen', she says
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police