Hall Pass (15)
Starring: Owen Wilson, Christina Applegate
Friday 11 March 2011
The Farrelly Brothers have never been noted for subtlety, but at their best the gross-out romantic comedies of Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin and There's Something about Mary had a certain loveable stupidity and brio.
Their quality kitemark has smudged of late, and with Hall Pass it seems to have disappeared altogether. Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis play best friends whose wives (Jenna Fischer and Christina Applegate), fed up with their lechery, have granted them a week's "pass" to live the bachelor dream and indulge their horny instincts. Trouble is, these two don't have a clue about "the ladies" anymore; and the Farrellys don't have a clue about laughs. Where once there was cheek and even a little edge, now there's just a desperate giggliness, which even 14-year-old boys would find embarrassing. You may feel a little sorry for the stars, who perhaps thought the brothers still had some comic chops. Alas, they haven't.
Will explain back story to fictional kingdom Westeros
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
JK Rowling's Harry Potter Halloween stories: Dolores Umbridge was based on real person she 'disliked intensely'
This is what a film sex scene actually looks like on set (mostly awkward)
Cumberbacklash: Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange riles Marvel fans
Best horror films of all time
Benedict Cumberbatch describes the 'explosive' Sherlock sex scene that will never happen
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything