In Memory of My Father (NC)
Friday 06 June 2008
Writer-director-actor Christopher Jaymes's comedy of familial meltdown tries for the taboo-breaking satire of TV's Curb Your Enthusiasm without understanding what makes it funny.
A roguish Hollywood paterfamilias makes a death-bed request to have his last hours filmed, and his sons (Jaymes, Jeremy Sisto and Matt Keeslar) feel duty-bound to oblige him. Once the old man pegs out, however, family skeletons are yanked out of the closet. The impromptu sing-along – "Daddy is Dead" – gives some indication of the mood. It's less fun than it might be, however, largely because of a script that's scatty, unfocused and in thrall to the Hollywood narcissism it purports to condemn.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Bad luck, One Direction: Paul McCartney doubts success of The Beatles will ever be matched again
This is surely the best way to watch Jaws
Game of Thrones season 6: Daenerys actress Emilia Clarke says '50/50 chance' Jon Snow is alive
Guillaume Tell's gang-rape scene caused uproar at the Royal Opera House – but the portrayal of extreme sex and violence on stage is nothing new
The last decade has produced just four UK festival headline acts
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture