Friday 30 January 2009
JCVD? What's this – a sexual superbug?
A new brand of hi-fi? No, it's the comeback movie of Belgian kick-boxer Jean-Claude Van Damme. He plays himself as a fallen star returning to his native Brussels, out of luck (Steven Seagal is winning out in the scrabble for Nineties action-parts) and locked in a child-custody battle. To cap it all, he's accidentally involved in the hold-up of a post-office, during which our chastened hero steers a confusing course between self-parody and self-justification. "Van Damme needs just one thing ..." runs the tag line, "... to be himself". But does anyone still care?
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 2 Watch: Man takes selfie every mile of 2,600 mile hike, creates amazing timelapse video
- 3 The day I starred in Only Fools and Horses
- 4 #FreeTheNipple: Women in Iceland bare breasts in solidarity with trolled student
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Germanwings plane crash: Co-pilot Andreas Lubitz wanted to 'do something people would remember him for'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew