Friday 30 January 2009
JCVD? What's this – a sexual superbug?
A new brand of hi-fi? No, it's the comeback movie of Belgian kick-boxer Jean-Claude Van Damme. He plays himself as a fallen star returning to his native Brussels, out of luck (Steven Seagal is winning out in the scrabble for Nineties action-parts) and locked in a child-custody battle. To cap it all, he's accidentally involved in the hold-up of a post-office, during which our chastened hero steers a confusing course between self-parody and self-justification. "Van Damme needs just one thing ..." runs the tag line, "... to be himself". But does anyone still care?
Review: Imaginative storytelling returns with vigourfilm
Bannatyne leaves Dragon's DenTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 3 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
- 4 Iraq crisis: How Saudi Arabia helped Isis take over the north of the country
- 5 Barack Obama fist bumps Texas restaurant employee in support of gay rights
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
War is war: Why I stand with Israel
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
Socialist Worker called to apologise over ‘vile’ article saying Eton schoolboy Horatio Chapple's death is ‘reason to save the polar bears’
Emergency data law: David Cameron plots to bring back snoopers’ charter
NUT strike: David Cameron announces crackdown on strike action ahead of mass industrial action
- < Previous
- Next >