Kung Fu Panda (PG)
Sunday 06 July 2008
You get the feeling watching Kung Fu Panda that they came up with the title and the range of toys first, and didn't start thinking about the story until much, much later.
It's a jolly DreamWorks cartoon about, well, you know what it's about from that title. Jack Black provides the voice of a fat, greedy panda who works in his dad's noodle shop in ancient China, but dreams of fighting alongside the Furious Five, a band of animal martial artists living in a mountain-top temple above the town. Kung Fu Panda has some zappy action, and there are moments when it's a very funny Jack Black comedy that just happens to be animated, but the narrative doesn't have any of the ingenious twists that still put Pixar's cartoons way ahead of its rivals'. As I said about Wanted last week, and Iron Man before that, Kung Fu Panda is a film with a long training-session montage where its plot should be.
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Before They Pass Away: In pictures
Kylie Minogue, Kiss Me Once tour, London O2 - review: Pop princess still reigns supreme
Miranda Hart and Sarah Millican lead female comedy breakthrough
'Before They Pass Away': Endangered communities photographed 'like Kate Moss'
The Simpsons death: Character killed off - but not the one you thought
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >