Le Donk and Scor-Zay-Zee (15)
Shane Meadows (71 mins), starring Paddy Considine, Scor-Zay-Zee
The line between vibrant improvisation and downright sloppiness is thoroughly mauled in Shane Meadows's low-budget, bite-size drama. Paddy Considine plays Le Donk, an oafish, layabout roadie whose dreams of making it big have taken an upturn now that his protégé, a tubby white rapper named Scor-Zay-Zee, might be opening a festival gig for the Arctic Monkeys. The joke turns on Donk's self-deceiving character, initially on his fitness as a new father (Olivia Colman, on loan from Peep Show, is his pregnant ex), later on his jealousy of the rapper, who actually has something he doesn't: talent. Throughout you get the impression that Meadows and his cast are having a lot of fun, which is unfortunately not the same thing as being funny. Even with a short running time (71 mins) this scrappy, unendearing squib outstays its welcome.
Arts & Ents blogs
Even though there was a complete absence of our favourite odd couple Brienne and Jaime, we got anoth...
If you had any doubt where Binky gets her brilliantly brassy disregard for social graces, episode se...
Kate Simko is a lady who has constantly worked towards to pushing herself musically. Though she make...
- 1 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Strewth mate. Aussies wave goodbye to Britain as it becomes too pricey to stay
- 4 Be more professional! GCHQ staff rapped as WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange reveals messages that he says point to 'fit up'
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.