London Boulevard (18)
Starring: Colin Farrell, Keira Knightley
Friday 26 November 2010
Quite a week for below-par thrillers. The surprise of this one is that its appalling script is penned by William Monahan, an Oscar-winner for The Departed.
Colin Farrell plays an ex-con returning to his London stamping-ground and reluctantly drawn back into the glum underlife of his cronies. But he gets the job of a lifetime "minding" an actress-model (Keira Knightley) who's hiding out in her West London home from the paparazzi. Monahan's narrative seems to be suffering a bad case of Attention Deficit Disorder, flitting between characters like a nervous party host and consequently skimping on all of them. It works neither as romance nor as urban thriller, though I did enjoy David Thewlis's fruity turn as a resting luvvie.
Is the comedy album making a comeback?comedy
Artists unveils new exhibition inspired by Hastings beachart
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 4 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer: First look at Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
Orange Is The New Black season 3: Pornstache isn't coming back
Best movies on Netflix UK and US: 32 films that will end your endless scrolling
Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
Guardians Of The Galaxy, review: Marvel-lite movie feels half-hearted
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss