Miss Bala (15)
Starring: Stephanie Sigman, Noe Hernandez
Gerardo Naranjo's Miss Bala is a chilling, cautionary tale about an ingenuous young Mexican woman (Stephanie Sigman) who leaves her impoverished home hoping to become a beauty queen but ends up in the hands of Mexican drug gangs.
She's a helpless pawn, hiding beneath beds, underneath car seats and behind corners, as burly drug traffickers and cops go on their murderous sprees. Characters are killed, hung from bridges and dragged behind trucks without anyone showing the slightest hint of emotion.
Music Why this music festival is still the place to spot the next big thing
Film review Michael Glatze biopic isn't about a self-hating gay man gone straight
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
- 3 Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers