Monsters vs Aliens (PG)
Sunday 05 April 2009
Monsters vs Aliens is such a barnstorming title that it's a pity that DreamWorks' slick but empty new cartoon does no more than the bare minimum with it. A 50ft woman (voiced by Reese Witherspoon) is recruited by the US government to repel an alien invasion, alongside a few other 1950s B-movie monsters. It has all the overcomplicated, video-game-friendly action sequences we've come to expect from computer animations, as well as all the ironic one-liners and pop-culture references. But it doesn't have much else except the much-vaunted 3D effects, which are diverting at first, but which you get used to after the opening two minutes. A fun time-passer for the Easter holiday, but destined to be forgotten by the time school starts.
Final Top Gear reviewTV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget