Movie review: Celeste and Jesse Forever
Thursday 06 December 2012
A romantic comedy with barbs, Celeste and Jesse Forever probes into the nooks of relationships that When Harry Met Sally-style films leave well alone.
Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg play a thirtysomething Californian couple enduring a very slow divorce. She’s a highly ambitious trends analyst who has just written a book called Shitegeist about the shallowness of contemporary popular culture. He’s a good-natured drifter who prefers surfing to working. The film has its moments of very icky mawkishness but it’s also consistently funny, caustic and well observed. The formidable Jones, who also co-wrote the script, excels as the woman who thinks she knows exactly where she is going but ends up hopelessly lost.
A The film has amassed an estimated $28.7 million in its opening weekend
A statement was published on his fansite, True To You, following release of new album
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 The way the police have treated Cliff Richard is completely unacceptable
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
- 4 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 5 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka
The late Peter O'Toole shines in 'Katherine of Alexandria' despite illness
JK Rowling releases new Harry Potter story on Pottermore: Introducing Celestina Warbuck, the 'Singing Sorceress'
Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermeister and vodka
The funniest joke at Edinburgh Fringe 2014: Tim Vine wins for second time
Kate Bush: Previously unseen photographs reveal new side to comeback star
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head