My Last Five Girlfriends (12A)
Sunday 21 March 2010
A promising British indie, My Last Five Girlfriends, is a high-concept romantic comedy which uses the Annie Hall technique, most recently employed by (500) Days of Summer, of having its hyper-analytical hero (Brendan Patricks) sift through the wreckage of his previous relationships, particularly the most recent (with Naomie Harris).
His memories are staged as theme-park rides, slide shows, adverts and Barbie-doll tableaux, and even if the special effects look as if they were knocked up on someone's laptop, it's a more creative approach than most romcoms have. Its downfall is that it's too busy making general points about love and life to develop characters you might care for. By the end of the film, we know almost nothing about the hero except that he's such a judgemental, navel-gazing drip that he'd be lucky to get one girlfriend, let alone five.
Books And it is whizzpopping!
MusicThey're running their own restaurants
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Dentist who illegally killed Cecil the lion blames local guides for the scandal
- 2 Kate Winslet thanked 'particularly horrible' girl who bullied her at school after Titanic success
- 3 Norwich paedophile ring: Woman at centre of gang who made children 'sexual play things' guilty of 23 offences
- 4 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds
- 5 Walter Palmer: American dentist revealed as the killer of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe
New on Netflix August 2015: From Narcos and Spellbound to Kick Ass 2 and Dinotrux
Listen! Beowulf opening line misinterpreted for 200 years
Heath Ledger's father reveals dead actor's 'Joker diary' written during The Dark Knight
Game of Thrones season 6: New toy line suggests Jon Snow is not among the dead
Spectre: Ellie Goulding is almost definitely singing the theme song to the next Bond film
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government