Next Goal Wins, DVD review: A deeply moving, satisfying and life affirming film
(15) Mike Brett, Steve Jamison, 95mins. Starring: Thomas Rongen, Jaiyah Saelua
Friday 29 August 2014
This charming documentary focuses on the world’s worst international football team, American Samoa, a side who slid to the heaviest defeat (31-0 to Australia) in a Fifa match in 2001.
The abiding image is of their proud, capable goalkeeper pounding the turf in despair.
They don’t score goals and obviously never get results, so enter abrasive-but-loveable Dutch coach Thomas Rongen, who has three weeks to turn this likeable rabble – including transsexual defender Jaiyah Saelua – into a competitive team before their World Cup qualifying campaign.
A deeply moving, satisfying and life affirming film – the exact opposite of watching England play.
Robin Thicke admits he didn't write 'Blurred Lines'music
Review: Cilla, ITV TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams cast in Channel 4 drama about cyber bullying
Jennifer Lopez and Iggy Azalea's 'Booty' music video is just a load of butts
Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
The Beatles biographer reveals exclusive original manuscripts of some of the best pop songs ever written
The Walking Dead season 5 synopsis: Spoilers and existential questions revealed
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes