Night Moves, film review: Multi-layered thriller shows how quickly idealism becomes muddied
(15) Kelly Reichardt, 112 mins Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Dakota Fanning, Peter Sarsgaard
Reichardt's multi-layered thriller works equally well as an eco-fable and as a study in guilt and bad faith. Eisenberg, Fanning and Sarsgaard play environmental activists who blow up a hydroelectric dam and then struggle to cope with the consequences of their action.
There's a hint of Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov about Eisenberg's character, who becomes increasingly violent and furtive as he tries to protect himself.
Fanning, meanwhile, is so remorseful that she comes out in a rash. Sarsgaard is an ex-Marine with the practical knowledge to plan the act.
Reichardt probes away at her characters' motivations and contradictory feelings.
She doesn't judge them, but makes it very clear how quickly their idealism becomes muddied once they dirty their hands with direct action.
ReviewThese heroes in a half shell should have been left in hibernation
Sek, k'athjilari! (That’s “yes, definitely” to non-native speakers).TV
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Breaking Bad season 6 is still not happening
Doctor Who, Flatline - review: Clara isn’t half bad as the Time Lord
Downton Abbey review series 5, episode 5: Period drama falls disappointingly flat
Star Wars Episode 7 has almost finished filming
X Factor 2014 results: Chloe Jasmine and Stephanie Nala sent home
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing