On the Sly (U)
Olivier Ringer, 77mins. Starring: Wynona Ringer, Olivier Ringer, Macha Ringer
On the Sly is a small-scale, intimate tale about a lonely six-year-old child. Hardly noticed by her hard-working parents, Cathy (Wynona Ringer) disappears into the woods – and waits to see how soon they will notice.
There is next to no dialogue. Instead, Cathy narrates her own adventures in a naive but perceptive voiceover.
Whatever else, this is the antithesis to the brash, effect-driven 3D movies that tend to be released in time for half-term. For parents looking for a soulful, slow-burning children's movie, this could be just the answer.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Arts & Ents blogs
- 1 As an ex prostitute, I urge all the political parties to commit to the Sex Buyer Law
- 2 Nokia no more: Microsoft drops once-ubiquitous mobile name – in favour of its Lumia brand
- 3 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Couple die within 28 hours of each other after being married for 73 years
Goodfellas star Frank Sivero sues for $250m over Simpsons character
American Horror Story season 4, Fox - TV review: Silly, sensational and sensitive
Breaking Bad season 6 hoax: Vince Gilligan has not confirmed a new series
MOBO awards 2014: Sam Smith sweeps the board with four gongs
The Apprentice, episode 3 - review: Lord Sugar hacks away at the deadwood with another double elimination
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'